Sunday, March 08, 2009

80%

As my faithful readers can most likely deduce by the relative infrequency of my blogposts, things have gotten a bit crazy around here again. It's time for parent teacher conferences and written evaluations at school. Gaute has been travelling a lot, too. There just aren't enough hours in the day to accomplish everything, which means that I'm going around feeling worn out with a bad conscience for everything I'm not getting done.

This is where the 80% comes in. In Norway you can (at most jobs) decide what percentage of a full-time position you want to have. I have been working 100%, but on Friday I went in and told my boss that I would like to work 80% next year. That means one day off every week. There are quite a few teachers at my school who work 80% and he said that he couldn't promise me Fridays off because that's what everyone wants. I said that I'd actually be more interested in Mondays off or starting later every day. We'll see what happpens, but it seems like it should work out fine. I feel such a huge relief!

I don't officially have a job there next year, but I gave my boss my application letter last week. There are 4 positions for next year and my boss has said that he really wants to keep me there, so I'm not too worried. Will be nice to know for sure, though!

1 comment:

gramma janny said...

Sounds like a great plan!