Thursday, February 14, 2008

Life and stuff

Student teaching is over...forever. Student teaching this year was definitely challenging, but now that I'm done, my overall impression is positive. For many different reasons, the school was difficult, but on the other hand, there were some fantastic students there who I will really miss. I made chocolate chip cookies which I took for them the last day, and they were going crazy - they'd never tasted anything so good. I had to promise to send them the recipe - which I did.

But now that student teaching is over (as well as the fun stomach flu that I had on Tuesday), it's time for me to start thinking seriously about applying for jobs. I've been dreading the process for a long while now, but once I got my act together, I'm realizing that it's not the most difficult process in the world. I've contacted two people who I can use as references and I've written my resume, so now I just need to figure out where I want to work.

At my college on Tuesday, representatives for various school districts on the outskirts of Oslo came and tried to recruit students to come and teach at their schools. It was kind of fun going around talking to them, because when I told them that I wanted to work at a middle school and what my background was, they were practically offering me a job on the spot. Some of the schools aren't far out of Oslo, and it really wouldn't take me more than 20 minutes to drive to them, but I think I'd rather be a bit closer to home (distances are small around here compared to say, California). We'll see, though. The schools in Oslo haven't actually posted any jobs yet. They wait a bit longer than the other school districts, probably because they can afford to. I talked to a friend of mine who is a teacher, though, and she said that practically every school will have at least one opening and that I should be able to pick and choose, so I think I'm going to play it cool for a while longer.

No comments: